Low Testosterone, often times called Low T, is a medical condition known as hypogonadism. It is thought to affect millions of men in the United States, and can have unwanted effects on many aspects of life. Luckily, there are many ways to combat Low T including topical to injectable medications. All of the treatments help to normalize testosterone levels, so it's really based on a your preference. This is usually determined by a conversation with the treating physician.
Before seeking treatment for Low T, you may experience a variety of symptoms. These would include:
• Reduced Sex Drive: Low T can cause a lower libido, reducing the desire for sexual activity with your partner.
• Unwanted Body Changes: Testosterone is responsible for helping to increase muscle mass and strength, as well as maintaining bone strength. With Low T, men can experience osteoporosis (loss of bone density), loss of body and facial hair, and increased breast size.
• Decreased Energy: Often times, men with Low T experience difficulty exercising, or may become more tired and sleepy during the day when they would have previously been awake and alert.
• Sexual Dysfunction: Besides a reduced sex drive, Low T can also affect a man’s ability to perform sexually, and, in some cases, can cause erectile dysfunction.
• Mood Changes: In some cases, Low T has caused depressed moods in men.
If any of these symptoms seem familiar, you may be experiencing low testosterone. At Philadelphia Urology, we can help develop a custom plan for you to combat this medical condition. Contact us today!